Learn how to protect children in your early care and education (ECE) program from abuse and neglect. This module addresses how to prevent, identify and report child abuse and neglect. It describes your responsibilities as a mandated reporter as required by the Child Protective Services Law (CPSL). By using the recommended practices, you will help ensure the safety of children in your care.
To complete this module, view the 3 online video segments Segment 1 Segment 2 Segment 3 . Use the links to the Document Packet, Glossary, Mandated Updates to Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting and Instructions to Claim Credit below for the current versions. Use the resources in the document packet and complete the Assessment and Reporting Scenarios Packet. You may either download the Assessment and Reporting Scenarios Packet or complete it online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ecelschildabuseandneglect. Follow the instructions in the "Friendly Reminders Box" when you submit your work for ECELS for review for professional development credit.
This module is approved for Act 31 credit.
- Apply child abuse and neglect prevention efforts within families and among early care and education professionals
- Identify signs and symptoms of child abuse and neglect (maltreatment)
- Demonstrate knowledge of PA reporting requirements for mandated reporters
- Identify and outline the process of supporting those involved with an abused or neglected child
- Demonstrate the use of nationally recognized resources in the development of policies and procedures
Reviewed and reaffirmed 8/2022