Some of the new standards for physical activity are:
- Provide plenty of supervised “tummy time” for infants when they are awake.
- Promote active daily play for children from 1-6 years of age.
- Provide 2-3 outdoor occasions daily (weather permitting).
- Provide 2 or more teacher led movement activities (either indoors or outdoors, 5-10 minutes each) over the course of the day.
- Provide time for children to have unstructured physical activity.
- Encourage toddlers to be physically active 60-90 minutes daily.
- Encourage preschoolers to be physically active for 90-120 minutes daily.
- Do not restrict physical activity as punishment.
Let parents know what clothes children require for outdoor activities. Use dressing and undressing for outdoor activities as an opportunity to teach children personal care routines, fine motor skills and new vocabulary. Reviewed and reaffirmed 5/2019